Spend a day out on the water in picturesque Howe Sound. Within minutes, you will be soaring like the eagles at high speeds, seeing what beautiful British Columbia has to offer. All you have to do is sit back and enjoy the sea mist on your face. This trip includes a 2 hr excursion in Sewell’s Marina.
When: June 18 (8:30am departure from Burnaby South, 2:30om return)
• Roundtrip bus transportation & ferry through Gulf Islands
• Sewell’s Marina 2 hour experience
• Scenic picnic lunch stop (bring your own lunch)
• Experienced, fun and friendly guide
• All taxes
(1) Complete the Sewell’s Marina Student Forms
(2) Submit to Ms. Kangro at lunch, or before/after school in A226 by May 30th
It’s luncheon time again! We will be having our May luncheon next week in the multi-purpose room.
Grades 8, 9 and 12 will have their luncheon on Wednesday, May 2nd.
Grades 10 and 11 will have their luncheon on Friday, May 4th.
See you all there!
The next Burnaby Field Trip is…Tofino!
Tofino is a small district on Vancouver Island, off Canada’s west coast. It sprawls on a peninsula within Clayoquot Sound, characterised by wild natural scenery including lakes, inlets and ancient rainforest. Tofino is a very popular destination for locals, and is definitely worth visiting on your time here.
There is a limit of 9 seats for Burnaby South – seats are filled first-come, first-served!
When? MAY 18 @ 8:00 AM – MAY 20 @ 5:00 PM PDT
Cost: $500 (or $585 with surfing lessons)
• Roundtrip bus transport including ferry
• Experienced, fun & friendly tour guide
• 2 nights hotel accommodation
• 2 breakfasts and 1 dinner
• Whale watching on zodiac boat
• Bonfire and marshmallow roast
• Commentary & entertainment
How to apply:
(1) Complete the Tofino Field Trip Forms and the DCT Waiver
(2) Submit the field trip forms to Ms Kangro (either at lunch or after school in A226) by next Thursday April 12th
(3) Once you’ve submitted your forms, Ms Kangro will direct you to pay your fees over the phone with a credit card
The Vancouver Sun Run is coming up next month and the school is trying to put together groups to enter as a team.
The Sun Run is a yearly 10 km marathon that takes place in Vancouver. You do not have to be a marathon runner to be involved in the event and you are welcome to walk or run at whatever pace you are comfortable with. This is a great event if you want to get active, get to know the city a bit more and also meet new people and have fun with your friends.
The marathon takes place April 22 at 9:00 am.
Mr. Perry is organising training sessions for anyone who is interested. The first sessions are Tuesday March 13 and Thursday March 15 at 3:30 meeting in room A135.
The deadline to sign up for the run is March 16. These are the steps to signing up:
1. Sign up here – https://register.vancouversunrun.com/#!/events/2018-vancouver-sun-run/registration/solo/participant/20180306141641V90UFQ/team/join
2. Enter the Passphrase: Running Rebels
3. Enter your information register and pay
Get a team together and get involved!
Want to see all of Canada, viewed from above? On April 19th, we’ll be holding a field trip to FlyOver Canada, in downtown Vancouver!
FlyOver Canada utilizes state-of-the-art technology to give you the feeling of flight. Participants will hang suspended, feet dangling, before a 20-metre spherical screen while a film whisks participants away on an exhilarating 8-minute journey across Canada, from east to west. Special effects, including wind, mist and scents, combine with the ride’s motion to create an unforgettable experience.
After the FlyOver experience, students will be treated to Tim Hortons to round out their Canadian experience!
Departure time: 11:45am from Burnaby South Secondary (Walking/skytrain to FlyOver Canada, supervised)
Return time: 3:10pm at Burnaby South (Walking/skytrain back to Burnaby South OR dismissed from downtown Vancouver.
Cost to student: $5.00 (students must bring their own transit pass)
This field trip is an excellent chance to participate in a once-in-a-lifetime local experience, and get connected with other international students at Burnaby South.
(1) Complete both Fly Over Canada – Field Trip forms (Make sure your parent/guardian indicates where you are to be dismissed!)
(2) Bring both completed forms and $5.00 in cash (exact change) to Ms. Kangro by Monday, April 16th. Please note that there are limited seats for this trip, so you are recommended to get your forms in before spring break to ensure a seat.
Where to find Ms. Kangro:
Forms can be dropped off to A226 (Math/Science prep room) during lunch and after school.
We are having our next luncheon next week. Come to the multi-purpose room at lunch to hang out with friends and enjoy some great food.
The dates are as follows:
Grades 8, 9 and 12 on Thursday, March 1st.
Grades 10 & 11 on Friday, March 2nd.
See you all there 🙂
Message from Mr. Kwan:
An annual benefit concert hosted by Interact Club
Performances by Burnaby South students!
Come join us for this awesome show!
Rebel Nations 2018
Feb 22nd at MJ Fox Theatre
Door opens at 6:30
For more information please contact Mr. Kwan in the Career Program Office (across from Ms. Aska’s office)